Form Two history begins by taking a look at the Renaissance. Do you fully understand why the Renaissance began in Italy? You will need to elaborate on the following points but to outline them briefly the reasons are as follows:
- Italy was at the centre of the merchant trade which created many very wealthy patrons (sponsors) who had the money necessary to pay artists to create their masterpieces.
- Italy was the centre of the Roman Catholic church and the pope also acted as a patron to many artists.
- Italy had independent city states which competed against each other to be the most magnificent thereby creating architectural and artistic competition.
- Greek scholars had fled from Constantinople bringing with them many ancient manuscripts which revived Greek culture.
- Italy contained many artefacts and monuments from ancient Rome which inspired artists to recreate the marvels of ancient Rome.
Understanding The Renaissance
The following is a powerpoint on Leonardo which may help with your essay.
The following documentary will assist your understanding of how the Renaissance took place in Italy.